So here’s the thing: kale is supposedly amazingly good for you. So naturally, I wanted to find a way to fit it into our diet. We tried kale chips…but that was not a success in the taste department in our opinion…I’ll let you know if that ever changes. A kale salad was next on the list to try. The only problem is that kale itself has a pretty bitter taste…there is however, a way to remedy that! Thank goodness!
Most of what I know about kale, I learned from Haylie Duff and The Real Girl’s Kitchen. I’m in love with her book and her little cooking show and her website. I just love her take on life and she’s got some pretty great recipes. Anyway, back to kale. By reading about kale in her cookbook, I learned that you can make the leaves less bitter by showing them some love and massaging them with olive oil for about a minute. I wasn’t too sure of how well this was going to work, but it did work and it cut that bitter taste right out! I also made a version of Haylie Duff’s classic vinaigrette dressing and added a few things to my salad to give it a splash of flavor and get even more nutrients in.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 or 2 bunches of kale. (1 bunch will probably feed about 2 people)
- Fresh strawberries (however many you want)
- Almond slivers
- A few drizzles of olive oil
- Homemade vinaigrette dressing (click to get the recipe)
- Rinse the kale leaves and dry them off. (You can either break them up right then and put them in a salad spinner, or pat the leaves dry with a paper towel.)
- Pull the leaves away from the rib of the kale and tear them into smaller pieces
- Put the leaves into a big bowl and drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top. Massage the oil into the leaves for about a minute.
- Chop up strawberries and add them into the salad.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers on top.
- Make the homemade vinaigrette dressing and use that to put the final touch on your salad.
Make this salad at home, take a taste, and let me know what you think! I’d love to hear from you!