I wanted to make a light, healthy treat for our 4th of July festivities so I came up with this cute idea! The best part is that this dish can either be a snack, a side dish, or a dessert! I’m sure I’m not the first one to think of this super simple recipe, but my version of the instructions are below.
- Pound Cake
You will also need:
- Wooden kabob skewers
- A small star shaped cookie cutter
- Take your pound cake out of the freezer to thaw about half way
- Cut the skewers into thirds, or in half, depending on how long you want them to be
- Rinse the strawberries & blueberries, then dry them
- Cut the tops off of the strawberries, then cut them in half
- Cut thin slices of the pound cake (about 1/2 – 3/4 inches wide)
- Tip: It is best to cut one slice at a time, then complete step #6. Alternate between step #5 and #6, as the pound cake is easier to work with when halfway frozen. If your pound cake starts to crumble, stick it back in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to let it harden again
- Using your star shaped cookie cutter, cut stars out of your pound cake slices (you can usually get two small stars per slice. Be gentle when pushing out the stars, as the tips can easily be broken)
- Tip: If the stars become too difficult or tedious, you can simply cut cubes of pound cake for the skewers as well. I was short on time, so I did half stars, half cubes. It all tastes the same!
- Slide the fruit and pound cake onto your skewers as desired.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve!
Tip: Save the pound cake scraps by freezing them in a freezer safe Ziploc bag. Any time later you will have fresh pound cake bits to take out, thaw, and cover with your favorite fruit or sauce! (Personally, I like strawberries and chocolate sauce!) Yum!